Ok, so here we go, I've tried to be as honest as possible even though its meant making some rather embarrasing revelations. But the thing is, a film is a very personal and intimate thing. One movie may mean everything to somebody whilst being seen as a complete waste of time by others. My favourite kinds of films are the ones with an atmosphere, something that makes me feel all nostalgic, and the ones that have decent replay value which has ensured that many of the films I've absolutely loved the first time round do not appear here because the second or third time watching them has left me unenthusiastic. The films are in no particular order and "My Top 10 Worst Films Of All Time" will be posted soon enough. Oh and remember, I wanna know what YOU think, agrees and disagrees, loads of debate! :)
1) 10 Things I Hate About You - Probably the first teen romcom movie I ever saw and thats possibly because it was one of the first to be released along with Clueless which is a much less superior film. I love the subtle comedy, much cleverer than American Pies overthetop, unrealistic laughs, and the soundtrack is great. Plus it stars Heath Ledger who is one of my favourite actors. Generally a feel good film!
2) Shawshank Redemption - Ok so I'm sorry to sound a bit cliched. I know this would probably be in most peoples top tens, but thats for a good reason. I urge everyone to see this, its a film that anyone can watch and love. Morgan Freeman is brilliant and the story is gripping.
3) Casino Royale - I've long been a James Bond fan but by Die Another Day it was getting old and overthetop. I put Casino Royales success down to its realistic (well at least more realistic) storyline, good action sequences and of course Daniel Craig who brought more character to Bond. It's a shame they couldn't do the same in his second film, Quantum of Solace was trully awful!
4) Love Actually - Yes its a romcom and yes its in my top 10. However, its different from other, extremely predictable movies where two characters hate each other, then love each other, then hate each other and finally end up loving each other, ussually in a frantic realisation and speech that takes part in the rain. Love Actually has an amazing cast, is sooo funny and generally makes you feel good, especially if you're watching it at Christmas!
5) Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl - This is an interesting one, it probably stems from my love of Disney but I think it's safe to say that what makes it is Mr Depp. He just makes it so funny. And its original too, how many decent pirate movies are out there, not a lot.
6) Ned Kelly - Now I don't genuinely think this is a film for everyone. I love this because I love the history of its main character. However for a film that is based (and I do mean based, it doesn't follow true events to the dot) on true history I think it's pretty amazing. Another film of Heath Ledgers and the music is pretty good too.
7) In Bruge - I'm hesitant about this one, I've only seen it twice but I do absolutely love it. Colin Firth is hilarious and its something about those Irish accents that is so addictive (speaking of which, Happy St Patricks Day). The humour is subtle and clever with the action adding a little extra to it too.
8) Saving Private Ryan - It's been said before and I'll say it again. No opening sequence beats this one. The true horror of D-Day sticks in everyones minds, and not just the history obsessed like me. Usually I don't like the American film industry taking all the credit for victory in WW2 (although naturally they deserve about 55% of it) but in this film they get away with it. Tom Hanks is great and Matt Damon does a sweet job too.
9) Yes Man - I surprised myself a bit with this one but for feel good factor this is an EPIC WIN! Jim Carrey does his usual Jim Carrey thing but makes it funnier than usual. Generally though, the main reason this is in here is because it really makes you think about life and everytime I watch it, for at least the next couple of days I'll find myself saying "Yes" a whole lot more.
10) Forrest Gump - This is the big one, probably my favourite film of all time. The producers achieve so much, making it funny, sad and feel good all in 2 and a half hours. But its more than that, the pace of the life story means that, with the setting changing so often, you never get bored. The little history thats woven into the plot adds to its realism and makes it much more interesting and the soundtrack is brilliant (lets face it, anything with Freebird in is!). Finally I think its safe to say Tom Hanks does an amazing job bringing a diverse and difficult role to life right in front of you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The thing is,The Shawshank Redemption IS amazing.
ReplyDeleteI don't know about the others, because I haven't watched them but I shall get to it.
x
Cindy